Skip to main content

The Stirling Engine Marble Tower

This is the external combustion Stirling engine that powers a marble machine. Made in Germany from machine-tooled aluminum and brass, the two-device apparatus is powered by a regenerative heat engine, put to its first practical use in 1818 by Robert Stirling. An alcohol burner in the engine’s rear heats a cylinder; a quick flip of its brass flywheel sets the engine’s displacement and working pistons into motion. The resulting expansion and contraction of heated and cooled air inside the piston spins a series of wheels, one of which connects to the marble machine via a belt. The machine’s wheels raise 25 steel marbles to the top of one of two corkscrews, down which marbles descend until picked up again. Non-toxic exhaust from a full burner of ethyl alcohol allows 15 minutes of operation. The apparatus, belt, and engine requires a footprint of 13" H x 9 1/2" W x 8 1/4" D. (12 1/2 lbs.)

Item 92632
Price $2,400
Available for Immediate Shipment.

May we recommend:

Stirling Engine Marble Tower front view
Hover and click to magnify, click again to zoom.
Stirling Engine Marble Tower front view
Stirling Engine Marble Tower
Stirling Engine Marble Tower side view
Stirling Engine Marble Tower pieces included
Stirling Engine Marble Tower marble slide
Stirling Engine Marble Tower gears rotating
Stirling Engine Marble Tower marbles descending
Stirling Engine Marble Tower gears with belt
Stirling Engine Marble Tower close view of gears
Stirling Engine Marble Tower silver marbles
Stirling Engine Marble Tower gears